Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Fearfulness and Faithfulness

Ciao Friends.  My heart has been hurting since Friday about the tragedy in France.  For some reason it really affected me. It has invaded my thoughts and contemplating such evil acts have kept me awake at night.  I know I am safe and I know that I am at risk for bad things happening anywhere in the world, but it's hard for me to rationalize these thoughts especially when I am by myself for the most part here with limited people I am able to have full conversations with.  This emotional climate, combined with being pretty much homeless on Sundays (because the school is closed until 9 pm and my hotel kicks me out at 10 am) has made my homesickness spike big time.  I know I always write about the things that are great about this experience and how much it has changed me for the good (which it has) but it wouldn't be completely truthful to say it is always easy to do this all on my own.  I crave to talk to my family and give them a hug and have them tell me everything will be okay.  A girl needs her mommy sometimes and there is no shame in that :).  Love you mommy!  Anyway, I was able to reach out to a friend over the weekend who agreed to meet up with me and walk around her town on Sunday and I sat and talked with her host family. It was so nice and I am so glad to have all these other tutors in the region and to compare experiences, mostly to make sure all the things I'm going through match their experiences.  Also on Sunday I was in a cafe' killing time and I found out the barista is a language major at the local university.  Her English was perfect!! It was so refreshing and she was very funny.  I feel like every time I have a down turn in spirits I always run into people who make me laugh and make me feel better.  I am so thankful for her!  When I came back from my friend's house I was able to get into my dorm no problem.  Yesterday I went on another adventure with my friend Ariana.  We went to the republic of San Marino.  It's the world's oldest surviving sovereign state.  It is not part of Italy technically, and it's situated on top of a beautiful mountain surrounded by hills and valleys.  It is legitimately the most magical place I've ever been.  We thought the day was going to be mediocre because it was cold and foggy, but when we got above the clouds it was nothing but breathtaking and sunny.  The fog made the sights so mystical and the fact we were there on a Monday made the streets empty.  It was the perfect day.  We had to take the train from Macerata to Rimini and then take a bus from Rimini to San Marino.  The travelling was definitely worth it.  I told myself one day some how I will make it back there because it just evoked a feeling I have only felt in a few places in my life.  Such awe.  It is the feeling all of us travelers live for.  It's what makes all the hard parts worth it.  It is exactly what I needed this week.  Today I started my lessons which so far have been very successful.  I decided to do my lessons this week on restaurants in America, which is always a hit because Italians are all about food.  It was interesting to think about the fact that most of the food we eat is inspired by other cultures. When I ask myself what food I miss the most I have to say any sort of Mexican food.  Ugh I would sell my left kidney for a fajita or a burrito.  I think one of the main differences between food here and in America is just the amount of time we are willing to spend making our food.  For us it's all about convenience.  What is going to be easiest to make? The majority of Americans don't spend time investing in good quality meals.  Convenience is killing our country one fast food purchase at a time.  The students already understand this at such a young age just because of their culture, and the fact that they are on the outside looking in whereas it has taken me 20+ years to figure it out.  I have become more conscience of the food I eat in the last year, losing 40 lbs.  I think these perspectives now will give me a balanced and well rounded relationship with food for the rest of my life which is all I think what we are striving for.  I am so looking forward to Brent getting here in 24 days!  It's getting so close and I've already started booking our trip.  To share my love for this country with someone I love is gong to be the most amazing thing in my life.  I am so blessed.  I am so blessed.  And I will continue to remind myself of this fact until my heart is at peace.

"I say I am stronger than fear." -Malala Yousafzai        

So much love,
Linsey

1 comment:

  1. We have all been feeling your anguish and unease following Friday's attack and you have been central in our hearts and minds, Lins. I hope that all of our love and concern has been reaching out to comfort you, because knowing that you are pretty much on your own -- away from family and Brent who would love to put our arms around you and give you the comfort that not only you need, but we need from you, too. There is so much kindness and goodness in this world, but it is overshadowed so often by the bad. We all need to focus on that and each of us needs to try to be some sort of ambassador to bring the positive things in life to the forefront. You are doing that just with the small gestures -- teaching the children, leaving notes in Italian and candy for the maids at the school who keep your environment so beautiful, and just being "Linsey." We love you, Lins, and are really looking forward to your being back home.

    ReplyDelete