Friday, October 23, 2015

Giving and Recieving Joy

Ciao Everyone!!  Today has been one of the most joyful days since I've been in Italy, and that is because I got the sweetest care package from Brent and my family.  Brent made the sweetest slideshow with pictures of him and his nephew Karston who went to the pumpkin patch with his sister and his mom.  Oh my gosh my heart is so happy,  I feel renewed, I feel loved, I feel so so blessed.  I am excited also because next week I get to start my lessons surrounding  Halloween and I will be giving out some American candy which I think they will enjoy :) This weekend I am meeting up with some friends on the coast for dinner but mostly I will stay in Macerata and try to save a little money.  I am going to try to visit the art galleries and museums in town, go for a few runs, and just generally get to choose what I eat which is nice.  I was just telling my grandma on the phone how it's amazing to wake up here every morning and take in the views of the buildings and the countryside.  The school is 4 stories high and it's on a hill so I'm pretty sure I have one of the best views in the city.  Along with being able to treasure my many blessings in the last few days I have also been reflecting on the last year of my life.  So much has changed for me.  My college days ended, I started a new job, I found Brent again, I completed my first triathlon, 10K, and challenging hike, I moved across the world, and I began one of the most rewarding experiences as a javelin coach at LCC. It wasn't until I got here that I got to appreciate how much growth has occurred in this last year and how that has impacted me as a person.  I feel on top of the world and so much more ready to take on any challenge ahead.  I have began to apply for graduate programs back home and I am so excited about that new adventure come 2016.  I also have had some time to do a lot of video evaluations and I've started preparing for when I get back and get to start coaching again.  I am so lucky that the people back home are so incredibly supportive and that I have at least two jobs waiting for me when I return :). This is a good week to get a few of those little things done since I am not travelling.  I am trying to plan a cool trip to the southern part of Italy in the upcoming weeks because I am dying to see the Mediterranean and I've heard it's gorgeous.  I also plan to go to Milan in the next few weeks with my roommate so that should be fun.  It's so funny the staff at the school are so kind and love my roommate and I.  When the cooks serve us our meals they always say "Ahhhh the American girls!!  You like?" They are so sweet, and of course respond with a "Si!!" I am pretty sure they know no English beyond that but it is so nice when they try.  I have found that a lot of Italians are embarrassed to talk to me because they say they are really bad at English when in fact their English is 1000x better than my Italian will ever be and yet I have no shame in butchering their beautiful language. Ha!  The kids are so sweet and still so excited to see me every morning.  They all yell "Good morning!!" so enthusiastically when they see me (regardless if it is morning or not), obvious pride beaming from their eyes because they are able to greet me in my language.  It is seriously the most precious thing in the world.  I am excited to share Thanksgiving with them and to show them some pumpkin patch pictures and maybe some old family Halloween photos.  I definitely won't be showing them pictures of when my mom dressed like a clown one year though, I don't want them getting the wrong idea that all Americans dress super creepy. Haha!  Anyway, this week as a whole has been so refreshing and inspiring.  I needed the pick-me-up I received in the form of a care package.  My main thoughts going into next week are to try to loosen up just a little and have fun with the kids.  Try to make the students laugh and enjoy their time with me even more than they already are, play games, and just get to know them on a kid level.  It's so fun to experience what a child's life is like across the world.  Child-like joy is a phenomenon that is universal, and I love that revelation.  I hope they remember their English teacher as someone who brought joy and inspiration to their lives.

"Kids don't remember what you try to teach them, they remember what you are." -Jim Hensen

*European fun fact of the day!  Did you know that in European restaurants you pay for water?  And did you know that in order to use a public bathroom you also pay a fee?  Yes, just a few things I am missing from the U.S.


Ciao!
Linsey

1 comment:

  1. It was so much fun talking with you on the phone yesterday morning, Lins! Even though my hearing over the phone (even with "aids") is very iffy, I was able to hear you through the static and it was a good visit. Just know that you are thought of each day, every day and are very much-loved by each of us.

    Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete