Thursday, October 29, 2015

The Answer

Good Afternoon Friends!  My mind has been buzzing with thoughts and ideas since my last post.  When I was stuck on coming up with an even thirty "Things I Have Learned" in Italy the last one came to me out of no where and struck me as special.  I said "I am of service to the world."  Now why, why did this have such a profound impact on my thoughts the last few days?  I think it's because I have finally answered the question I think all 20-somethings are trying to figure out.  It is a conundrum that confounds even the smartest people, even people who have every opportunity open to them.  Having every opportunity open might even make it harder on someone because the question I am referring to is "What is my passion, and how can I allow that passion to make a difference in the world?"  I feel like we are all striving to find our place in a world were there are so many opportunities to do things that will bring positivity and light to the world, but there are also so many temptations of youth that bring the highs of temporary "happiness".  Temporary happiness is not sustainable and is usually accompanied by substances or people who have a false sense of joy and pleasure.  I feel like having this time has made me realize that I finally know the answer to this question.  I finally know where I belong, what my passions are, and I have the tools and work ethic to get me there.    School is only a piece of the puzzle.  So many people I know have gone years of their life trying to answer the ultimate question of young adulthood, and are a lot of the time disappointed when they find out they are either not passionate enough about the work, they didn't have the confidence in themselves to push for something they truly wanted, or they just don't have enough experience to realize any passion.  If I know anything it's that doing anything without passion, or half-heartedly will always bring about mediocre results.  My advice for those people who are struggling is this: Don't settle for dedicating your life to something that doesn't make your heart sing.  Whether that be parenthood, a job, or even a hobby just make sure it makes you come alive.  Wait for it.  You will know when you find it.  I have been lucky enough to find mine in the form of teaching.  Teaching and helping students with language, hearing, and other delays or difficulties is what makes me come alive.  It makes me feel empowered, helpful, and passionate.  For example, today in class there is a student who has Cerebral Palsy, and he is in one of my classes.  He always has an assistant with him and does his own work in class.  I hadn't tried to speak with him yet, but today I asked a staff member what his name was, and so I went up to him and said "Ciao, Alex!!" And he responded with a muffled "Ciao."  The staff around him were in shock that he had responded in such a way.  I think he is non verbal, but I'm not 100% sure because I didn't have a translator.  It gave me the greatest joy since I've been here, and made me cry happy tears.  This happiness is not the temporary form, this happiness is all encompassing.  It is one that I expect to fill me up and leave me feeling whole for the rest of my life.  I love Italy, and I love this life.

Linsey    

2 comments:

  1. you are such an inspiration to all ,your students now and in the future and are so lucky to have you in their lives. love you and so lucky to have you in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me tear up, Lins. You are fortunate to have found that "answer" so early in life. Many of us have spent decades trying to figure it out. I am so happy for you and want you to know again how very proud I am of you!

    ReplyDelete