Sunday, October 11, 2015

Perfectly Imperfect

Hi Friends!  I am currently in my hostel in Florence, wrapping up an amazing weekend exploring and eating some delicious Florentine cuisine.  My trip started with a 4 hour train ride from Macerata.  There were 2 stops on the way to change trains, one in Ancona a one in Bologna before finally landing in Florence.  I was nervous at first because I had never stayed in a hostile but this place is seriously so nice.  The staff is very helpful and it is central to all of the major sights in the city.  Our first day here we mostly just walked around for a bit.  Katie and I wanted to go on a walking tour but we were too late in trying to buy our ticket so instead we bought passes to take a pizza and gelato cooking class.  It was SO much fun and I can't wait to get home to try out my pizza making skills!  During the cooking class we sat next to a family who were on a "Make a Wish" trip for their son who dreams of one day being a chef.  They were so joyful and you could just tell they were soaking up every moment with one another.  It really was inspiring and beautiful and something that I needed to remind me how precious life is and how very lucky I am for my health and my ability to live the amazing life that I do.  After the cooking class we sat at a restraint and enjoyed some of the most wonderful and famous Chianti red wine and people watched for a while.  It's so funny to see all the differences between touristy areas such as Florence versus where I live in Macerata.  Here everything is so Americanized, I feel like you don't get a true taste of Italian life even though it's super fun here.  Yesterday we did more walking, we visited Dante's house from Dante's inferno which was very interesting.  We popped in to see a few art museums and went on a wine and cheese tasting tour where I had some the best olive oil I've ever tasted.  The balsamic vinegar here is incredible as well!  I bought an authentic Italian leather purse while I was here which I love.  Today we are going to see the statue of David before we catch a train back to Macerata.  This weekend has been so amazing, it's really been a treat to see a bustling Italian city but I am ready to head back and get back in the gym. :) Oh ya, and yesterday I passed a man wearing a duck hat and I exchanged a "Go Ducks" which I really appreciated,  All these new experiences are just opening my eyes more and giving me the confidence to go out on my own a bit more.  My thoughts for this week are just to give the best effort I can to help my students and not being afraid to ask for help, because reflecting on the past week in school it has been tough.  I plan to give my 100% to help them be engaged.  I also have to remember that beating yourself up about anything is not going to benefit anyone. If there is one thing I've learned over the past year it's that you have to always let your best be enough.  If I know I've given 110% I have to let that be enough walking away.

“There is no perfection, only beautiful versions of brokenness.”

Ciao!

Linsey

1 comment:

  1. You never have to be ashamed of making a sincere effort in anything that you do, Lins. You're already halfway there in working out the problems in the classroom because you are aware of them. I'm so proud of everything that you do.

    And, I hope your hostel wasn't hostile! (Bad, bad Grandma!) :-)

    ReplyDelete